Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Well, Hello everyone!  

This is my first posting and I just wanted to let everyone know what I have been up to.  I really love the first theme with which we are working.  I presently am in need of  direction in my life and an abundance of it. When we were given this theme/word I was immediately excited, but not sure why and that quickly became evident as my life started to unravel around me.  Deep down I knew it would happen sometime but now seems to be that time.  I am truly honored to be working along side so many beautiful and amazing talents while making my way in the right direction.

This compass for me is going to be a self portrait.  Something I use to do frequently when I was in touch with myself.  This is the opportunity to get back to who I am and find the ways I want to go.  I work in fiber as my main media (and photography as my secondary).  For me, this means painting, dyeing and surface design on silk.  

This project will be a painting created by first photographing myself.  Then transferring the image onto a dyed piece of silk via photocopy transfer.  From there, I will do what ever surface work I deem needed.  The left eye will be void and I will be creating a broken compass from metal to take its place.  Once all of this is complete, the piece will be encased in clear resin.  At least, I think so.

Right now, I am doing some tests with the silk in resin and just painting in general.  So, I will keep everyone posted on what happens and where my compass takes me next.

-Merissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment