Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thinking in Circles

I just returned to the Grail this past Saturday to visit the show with my family. Despite the wet weather this summer, the work is holding up well. (En)Compass looks like it has been visited by many a wild critter and perhaps slept in or rolled upon, shuffled through and certainly walked around. There is a nice trampled path around the piece...I imagine the wild woman of the woods coming to visit for a game of ring around the rosey. I certainly played it with my son and parents on our visit. This piece, the visit with my family and our new theme has me thinking of cycles...life cycles in particular and the cyclical nature of well, Nature in general. Maybe it's my summer of stay-at-home-mom-dom sneaking in as well. It's generally assumed that women want to be mother's and reproduce...create a lineage and legacy. I have to admit that this wasn't a particular goal of mine before having a child, and I often scoffed at those who pressured themselves to produce "heirs" by a certain age. As a mother, I now understand (a little better) where these women were coming from. There is something incredibly beautiful (not to mention) powerful about being able to create life. It does link a woman to something deeper...primordial...ancient...No wonder we were worshipped once upon a time! Yes, Gaia, Demeter, Athena, Changing Woman, Grandmother Spider...she is in us.

I have been rereading two books "Women Who Run with the Wolves" and "Ceremony" to reconnect with the wild woman archetype. I haven't had much studio time in this "Summer of Cy" but I'm looking forward to exploring this new theme.

1 comment:

  1. It has taken me about a month and a half to write to you guys. You really don't know me, but some of you were kind enough to visit my studio during our Open Studios in Peekskill on August 8th of this year. I really enjoyed meeting the group of you and you had given me your card and told me about your opening of the Compass show that was around that same time. I could not make it to yours, but I was finally able to peruse your website and blog and was really impressed and very interested in your work and the concept of One Stone Collective. I will definitely get myself over the bridge to Cornwall in the near future and visit YOUR gallery space. You guys are doing wonderful, insightful, strong work and I'm spreading the word :-) Like I said, you probably won't remember me, but just know that I am a sister artist who supports and encourages great endeavors like yours. Looking forward to seeing more! Many thanks, Donna Rossi, Brown Street Studios, Peekskill.

    ReplyDelete