Wednesday, September 30, 2009

We've come to fish the herring fish that live in this beautiful sea




My studio mate made an interesting comment the other day about the piece I'm currently working on. She said that it reminded her of fishnet stockings. Hmmm...I said to myself...so very true. It looks very much like a fishing net rather than a spiderweb. My head filled with images of older women attempting to make themselves look younger by wearing younger style clothing often out dated, too tight or otherwise unflattering. I also started to think about the old addage, "There are always more (better, richer, wiser, younger) fish in the sea." My mind is reeling with ideas for how this piece can fit into our upcoming show. I've done my best to take a few pictures but it is a difficult piece to try to document and capture with my little camera. The shadow cast will be just as important an element as the physical materials. I'm hoping to exploit the stretchy nature of the rubber bands and display it in some very dynamic ways. It is all very exciting. I'm hoping the Collective can come for a studio visit to get the full impact of the piece. Until soon...







No comments:

Post a Comment