Friday, December 18, 2009

Woven

So, I have spent this quiet afternoon at my desk watching the sun move across the pale Brooklyn sky and contemplating my installation for the upcoming show. I'm reposting the description I wrote for our press release. There is still some editing and figuring, but I think I'm getting close...

Corey R. Breneisen
The Matriarch
"Woven"
Rubber bands

Using the Native American concept of Grandmother Spider as a jumping off point, Woven, explores the archetype of the matriarch. The keeper of family ceremonies, rituals and stories, the matriarch is both revered and reviled. Her piece addresses the concept of the loss of family connections, traditions and rituals when the matriarch passes. The use of rubber bands emphasizes the fragility of familial relationships as well as the lengths to which the matriarch is stretched in her role as head of family. In a performance to take place ______, the artist will be adding to the installation by weaving new sections of rubber bands. Through the repetitive action of weaving materials together, the artist invokes the establishment of family rituals and routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment