Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mini's and a Net


Meghan checking in here. I'm working on 2 ideas at the moment.
The first takes compass literally, as a rose compass on a map. I started by finding antique maps and tracing off my favorite ones.


My Goal: Create miniature sculptures of different rose compass styles, done in various mediums. I'm starting first with a layered card style and I plan to do one that is carved, one from wire. Then I'll see where it goes.


The second idea came from thinking about compass and letting my mind wander. You can use one to lead you places, to give you direction, but we all have one place in mind. We all wish to "go home" and in our lives we travel we return to places that mean something to us. We follow certain paths over and over, and some we take just a single time. Sometimes we take the long road, and other times it's getting there that is important, not the journey. From this I started to see the "web" we weave through our lives and in our travels.
My Goal: to weave my web through the trees, to show the density and the openness in the journey of one. I want to make a big red net from collected red things, be it string, strips of fabric etc.

Now a gratuitous photo from one of the map books

No comments:

Post a Comment