Monday, March 9, 2009

Red Sweater & Yellow Porch from Oakland, CA


(one.)


(two.)


(three.)


(four.)

(five.)

Hello all! This is my first post on the One Stone Collective blog. I'm delighted to be involved in the collective and the upcoming compass exhibition. (Thank you, Marcie.) I'll be telecommuting from California and promise to be more regular with my posts after my wedding and honeymoon this April. (Eek!) However, I found these little compasses while cleaning out my studio a few weeks ago. They were too sweet to pass up, especially in the midst of the exhibition focus. So, some little compass images for you.


For my project, I'll be using a set of TTV images and adapting the poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams. I think I'll be making a book w/ text and image and maybe red recycled sweater parts, but it might turn into a photo narrative... we'll see. Regardless, this is the poem I'm working with for now:

so much depends
upon
a red wool
sweater
stitched by one
woman
beside the yellow
porch.

This poem/ photo/ book creation will be part of my exploration of art, craft, poetry and its relevance in the 21st century fine arts world. I'm toying with the idea of navigation (inspired by our dear compass theme) and how we navigate as artists, as women, as crafters through a very modern world. Also, how we find significance in our navigation and meaning in our personal and/or creative work. I'm not sure any of this will end up in the final project--which might just be a series of photographs combined with the above text--but the thinking always shapes the final project, even if it's just woven into the making. Lastly, here's a sample of some of the images I'll be working with:





It's nice to meet you all, virtually! And best of luck w/ your own projects. I'm delighted to be on board. More soon. XoXo, Katrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment