Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weaving the Stories






I've been thinking a lot about the performance aspect of the my piece. I feel like I've been neglecting it as I try to finish the physical work. I have been using the concept of Grandmother Spider as inspiration for my piece. I have been rereading one of my favorite books, Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. The book is written as a ceremony and emphasizes the importance of change and flexibility in order for the people to thrive and grow. It's a tough lesson, but necessary. The 'wise ones' (in this case, the matriarchs) have to change the ceremonies in order to keep the family safe and moving forward. Anyway, I have also been doing some online research to find other stories featuring Grandmother Spider. Below is an excerpt I found on this website http://www.herbshealing.com/herbal_ezine/September05/goddess.htm

THE WEB OF LIFE
by Taino Ti (I share the Spirit of the Earth with you)

When the Universe was still so dark that not even shadows could be seen in the night, Grandmother Spider sat in her web in the Sky World, waiting and watching. No one knows how old Grandmother Spider is, or how long she sat waiting for the Universal Mind to awaken. But, every Creature Being who has ever lived knows her song and dance as the weaver of the Web of Life.

From her web, Grandmother Spider observed the first thoughts as the Universal Mind awakened from the dream. Seven energy beings floated out from the shining light in the center of the Universal Mind and solidified into bright, shining stars who went out to take their places in the Sky World. Grandmother Spider took a very deep breath and softly began to sing her weaving song while she danced across the Sky. As she spun her thread, Grandmother Spider envisioned the Web of Life. Within moments, she had woven her web connecting the seven stars and creating the Spirit Doorway through which all of the rest of life would enter.

2 comments:

  1. I keep thinking about the anasazi's story of the spider... but this is the closest thing I could find online http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/umbriel.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Wikipedia has this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_depictions_of_spiders
    on the Cultural depictions of spiders

    ReplyDelete